Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Secret Princess Chap 1-50 Book 1 Chapter 49:And it begins, late again♥

 Chapter 49

And it begins, late again


The gates of the Jinwu Palace opened. Yuwen Yue did not bother to enter but let Chu Qiao pass using the Liang Prince's jade stone pass, which the royal bodyguards accepted, allowing her inside. Yuwen Yue turned his back, but suddenly, he spotted a spy. He gave the spy a cold stare and continued walking. Yuwen Yue typically walked unarmed, with icy daggers hidden somewhere in his clothing. Not to mention, Zuo was always watching over him from the shadows, as if they knew each other. Occasionally, they would meet at taverns where Yuwen Yue provided a unique signal: a trigger mechanism that created a vertical column of smoke before flaring up and lighting the skies.

The Jinwu Palace was full of green vines and bushes growing around its walls. As Chu Qiao passed by, she caught the scent of fragrant, fresh flowers. It was a heavenly-scented palace where Xiao Ce resided. She suddenly stopped walking when she saw the back of the Prince. For the first time that morning, the Prince had risen from bed. Dressed in his royal red robes, he stood beside the Yin-Yang topiary in the garden of a hundred flowers, looking grand and elegant.

Xiao Ce turned and gave her a gentle glance with his foxy eyes. He said, "Why do I feel like you're now in love with this gorgeous Prince standing before you?"

Chu Qiao's expression turned stern as she replied with a question of her own, "Why do I have to endure insults from an ugly Prince who keeps talking about love?"

Xiao Ce, still gazing at her with his foxy eyes, said, "I see a sparkle in your eyes." He looked to his left and right before continuing, "As far as I know, I'm the only man in front of you. Are you in love with me now, feeling as if you'll miss your chance of a lifetime to marry me if I die?"

Chu Qiao hit his shoulder, causing Xiao Ce to wince in pain. "Ouch... I haven't completely healed there."

Chu Qiao flashed a smile, showing her perfect white teeth. "Sorry about that. I'll make sure to double it next time you tease me."

Xiao Ce always felt good when she was around. He said, "Hey, are those two baskets for me?"

"Here's some good soup for you, to help you heal and recover your strength."

Xiao Ce looked at her, clapped his hands, and said, "Bring tables and chairs to the garden and serve the food here."

A servant came, took the baskets, and began setting up a garden dining area in the middle of the Yin-Yang topiary garden with tables and chairs.

The two sat down and ate together, enjoying each other's company. Xiao Ce apologized to Chu Qiao, saying, "I'm sorry I won't be around much for a while. Once my father's anger subsides, I'll be able to come out of the palace and roam freely again."

Chu Qiao understood and said, "I'll come visit whenever you want to chat with a friend. You know where to find me."

Xiao Ce's heart leaped with joy, though he didn't show it. He smiled and said, "The future belongs to those who wait."

Chu Qiao arched her brows and asked, "What do you mean by that?"

"Who cares? You'll know in time," Xiao Ce replied, his foxy eyes flashing as he sipped the ginseng soup Chu Qiao had made. "Ah, this is the best in town. Not even the Kitchen Ministry can cook like this. Should I issue a decree to have you replace the head of the Palace kitchen?"

Chu Qiao laughed and said, "Look at me, so thin! Do you pity your friend or are you trying to kill me?"

Xiao Ce laughed too. "Ha… Ha… Ha… Sorry, I forgot that, Qiao Qiao. Such a frail body but a beautiful face. Even if you didn't cook at all, just seeing your pretty face fills my stomach."

Chu Qiao could see that the Liang Prince was recovering well, and she laughed along with him. "Ha... Ha... Ha... Now that I see you're alive and kicking, my visiting pass expires today."

Xiao Ce joked, "Should I invite more stabs to my body just to have the tiger beauty visit me more often like today?"

Xiao Ce laughed, but Chu Qiao gave him a formal expression, which made Xiao Ce cough. "I'm just joking," he said. "I didn't mean it like that."

Chu Qiao's serious expression shifted to laughter, and she suddenly said goodbye to the Liang Prince.

"Why are you leaving so soon?" Xiao Ce asked, his face flashing with anxiety.

"I have things to do, so I'll be going," Chu Qiao replied, standing up and slowly walking away.

Xiao Ce shook his head with a foxy smile on his face. His father, King Tang, passed by and saw his son's joyful expression, which warmed his heart. The King had never seen his son's face bloom with such happiness.

Chu Qiao finally reached the gate and walked back home to Xue Fu Street. She wondered, "Where is the peddler man? Why didn't he wait for me?"

It was already nightfall, and Yuwen Yue had returned to his small lodge. He stared up at the sky, watching the stars shine in the darkness. He gazed at them as if he would do so forever and thought,"She should know me, but why does she act like I'm a stranger? I have only a month left before my vacation is over. I must find out if she's the real Chu Qiao or an imposter."

That night, Yuwen Yue let his thoughts linger on the fine woman. He decided he needed to test her to uncover the truth.

Chu Qiao, looking at the same stars Yuwen Yue was gazing at, thought to herself,"Why do I feel this way? Is this the first time, or has it happened before? Why do I feel something different with this peddler man, as if I'm on top of the world when I'm with him?"She left the thought hanging in the air and drifted into sleep.

The next day, Yuwen Yue walked along Xue Fu Street, but the Kowloon house was still closed. Chu Qiao was on her way to the market when Yuwen Yue, like a ghost, followed quietly behind her. She suddenly turned and was startled to see him. "Hey! You're like a ghost!" she exclaimed.

Yuwen Yue said nothing and continued walking. After a moment, he turned to her and said, "I'll help you with your shopping and carry your baskets for free." Chu Qiao secretly giggled but responded indifferently, "I don't need your help. I can manage."

Yuwen Yue, running out of time, insisted. "If you don't accept my free help, I'll make sure to bother you 24/7."

Chu Qiao, stunned by his statement, asked, "Are you serious?"

"Why not? Everyone else asks for my help at a cost, but I'm offering it to you for free," Yuwen Yue replied.

Chu Qiao considered the benefit and agreed. "Okay, stop right there."

Yuwen Yue, momentarily surprised, stopped in his tracks. Chu Qiao handed him two baskets, which he accepted. Then, she placed another bag across his body.

Determined to teach him a lesson for insisting on helping, Chu Qiao decided to test Yuwen Yue's endurance. She bought a large amount of vegetables, each bigger than the last. Yuwen Yue occasionally shot her cold glances with a hint of mischief. Chu Qiao, putting on a stern face, asked, "Why are you looking at me like that? Are you giving up?"

Yuwen Yue straightened his back, though his cold eyes betrayed a touch of rebellion. His hands were full of large vegetables, and his back was aching. Chu Qiao patted his shoulder and said, "Come on, you're better than this, right?"

Yuwen Yue replied coldly, "Who said I wasn't?"

Chu Qiao gave him a sly smile. "Fine!" she said.

She turned to the vendor and asked for the largest wintermelon. "The biggest one, please," she said, glancing at Yuwen Yue with a grin. "For my wintermelon shake later."

The vendor, looking sympathetically at Yuwen Yue, handed over the enormous wintermelon and asked, "Can he carry it?"

The wintermelon was impossibly large for one person to handle. Chu Qiao came closer, tapped Yuwen Yue's shoulder, and said, "This is the strongest peddler in town," before looking at him expectantly.

Without a word, Yuwen Yue set down the baskets and, with a cold stare at the vendor, picked up the giant wintermelon as if it weighed nothing. He placed it on his shoulder and walked tall, showing no signs of struggle.

People in the market stared in awe as the two walked by, whispering among themselves.

"The peddler is incredibly strong! I couldn't carry that wintermelon in my lifetime!" one person exclaimed.

Another chimed in, "He must be crazy in love with the beautiful woman… No, she's his boss… No, he's being punished by the gods!"

Chu Qiao, hearing the gossip, laughed to herself, feeling victorious as if she had found a slave. However, she quickly composed herself when Yuwen Yue turned to look at her.

Yuwen Yue occasionally glanced back to ensure Chu Qiao was still carrying the two baskets. Despite her frail appearance, she managed the heavy load with ease. He secretly admired her strength, though his own back was aching from the giant wintermelon.

Day after day, Yuwen Yue returned to the Kowloon noodle house, helping Chu Qiao with the same silent determination, never complaining, just a cold face.

The old lady who ran the noodle house began to notice the unspoken feelings between them. One day, Chu Qiao secretly followed Yuwen Yue and discovered he was also feeding street children, just as she did. This act of kindness touched her heart, and she decided to confront him.

That night, unable to sleep, Chu Qiao knocked on the old lady's door. "May I come in?" she asked.

The old lady, surprised, said, "What are you doing awake at this hour?"

"Muqin, I've stayed with you for a long time, helped your business thrive, and learned what life is about. Tomorrow, I need to find out what the man is after."

"How do you plan to do that?"

"I'll ask you to close the business tomorrow. I'll cook for him, and then we'll sit down and talk."

"Alright, consider me on a trip tomorrow. I'll visit my distant cousin, Zhan Ziyu. It's been a while since I've seen him."

"Thank you. I'll keep the Kowloon house safe."

The next morning, Chu Qiao closed the noodle house but kept it open for Yuwen Yue. Knowing his routine, she waited outside. For some reason, Yuwen Yue was late. When he finally arrived, he looked at her with his usual cold face but said nothing.

Yuwen Yue stared at her, noting her expensive Hanfu dress and simple plum flower hairpin, which highlighted her eyes. She looked beautiful and alluring, though not overly extravagant. He blinked and gave her a cold look, though inside he felt drawn to her.

Chu Qiao broke the silence. "Ahem, are you just going to stare at me, or do you have any questions?"

Yuwen Yue replied coolly, "No, but I am curious why the Kowloon house is closed today. Is it a holiday?"

Chu Qiao felt frustrated. She thought he looked aristocratic despite his plain clothes, as though he didn't belong in the life of a peddler. She didn't answer his question.

She had seen his actions the day before, feeding the street children. It revealed a side of him that was far from cold and aristocratic. Chu Qiao entered the Kowloon house, still puzzled by Yuwen Yue's apparent contradictions. She admired his consistency in appearance but whispered to herself,"Really? The same clothes every day?"

Chu Qiao, thinking about Yuwen Yue's simple attire, wondered if he wasn't earning enough to buy new clothes from the Hanfu boutique. With this thought in mind, she asked, "Is someone taking care of you?"

"What do you mean?" Yuwen Yue replied.

Following her into the Kowloon house, Yuwen Yue wrinkled his brows at the closed windows, a table set for two in the middle, and the dim lighting. Suddenly, lightning flashed outside, and a few seconds later, a loud clap of thunder echoed. They both looked into each other's eyes.

Feeling somewhat awkward, Yuwen Yue said, "Whatever this is all about, I really wanted to talk to you, but I have to go."

Chu Qiao, feeling similarly, replied, "Me too. As much as I want to ask you something, I have to leave," and she grabbed her coat and blankets.

Raindrops began to fall, and soon, heavy rain accompanied by sharp lightning and loud thunder filled the air. Both walked out of the Kowloon house. Chu Qiao started walking fast, while Yuwen Yue remained standing outside. Then, suddenly, he ran after her and began walking beside her.

Startled, Chu Qiao asked, "Why are you here? I thought you had something important to do."

A loud thunderclap struck nearby, and Yuwen Yue instinctively embraced Chu Qiao. The tiger beauty, slightly annoyed, said, "I think you're delaying me."

She looked into his eyes, then down at her body, noticing their proximity. Yuwen Yue, blushing slightly, with red cheeks and ears, gently pushed her aside and said, "I thought you were about to be struck by lightning. And it seems we're headed in the same direction. Let's go together."

Maintaining his cold stance, Yuwen Yue brushed off his awkward gesture and distanced himself from her.

Chu Qiao didn't say anything, but she knew that earlier, when they were still inside the Kowloon house, they had both been thinking the same thing. They walked separately, drenched in the rain, and arrived at the same street, looking for the street kids.

The rain was still heavy, it was the first spring rain of the year. Thunder and lightning filled the air, but the two fearlessly searched the streets for the children.

Yuwen Yue scanned every corner where the little ones might be seeking shelter, while Chu Qiao did the same. Suddenly, Yuwen Yue spotted three kids hiding under vegetable pallet containers and shouted, "I found them!"

Filled with joy, Chu Qiao ran toward them, and like a family, they embraced the children, trying to keep them warm. The streets were empty, and all the shops were closed, leaving them alone in the storm.

Hours passed, and the rain didn't stop. It became clear that this was no ordinary rain, it was a storm. The wind howled, and the trees and dilapidated buildings swayed dangerously.

One of the youngest children began to cry at the loud thunder and flashes of lightning. Yuwen Yue, looking at their makeshift family, suggested, "We won't last the night out here. We need proper shelter and a warm meal. Let's go to my lodge. It will be your temporary shelter."

Yuwen Yue took two of the kids, while Chu Qiao carried the youngest, and they headed to Yuwen Yue's lodge.

Chu Qiao was surprised by how simple and organized his lodge was. She couldn't help but admire him, though she maintained her cold look. Yuwen Yue gently placed the two children down, one from his back and the other from his chest, and gave them blankets to warm their cold, wet bodies.

Like a real family, they instinctively worked together. Yuwen Yue started boiling water, while Chu Qiao undressed the children and wrapped them in dry blankets Yuwen Yue had provided.

Without a word, they both knew what to do. Yuwen Yue quickly did laundry for the kids' clothes and placed them near the Kang bed to dry. He then retrieved thick blankets from his closet and handed them to Chu Qiao. She arranged the quilts on the tiled floor, covering the children and keeping them warm while their clothes dried.

While Yuwen Yue was still busy in the kitchen, Chu Qiao entered, noticing how drenched he was from the rain. His rugged hair and fresh face gave him an effortlessly clean-cut look, as if nothing in the world could bother him. Yuwen Yue looked at her as well and said, "You're soaked. Unfortunately, the only dry clothes I can offer you are my own Hanfu."

Chu Qiao nodded, and Yuwen Yue set down the knife he was using. He went to his suitcase and handed her his only unworn Hanfu. Chu Qiao took it and closed the Chinese divider to change her wet clothes.

While Yuwen Yue continued cooking porridge for his "instant family," Chu Qiao, now wearing his loose Hanfu, returned to the kitchen. Yuwen Yue couldn't help but notice how she looked in his clothes.

Chu Qiao, seemingly unbothered, said, "Change your clothes. You're dripping wet and making the place messy."

Yuwen Yue nodded and, not in his usual cold manner, left the kitchen to change. Unfortunately, he only had three sets of Hanfu: a gray one, a dark blue one, and the white one Chu Qiao was now wearing. He was left with only the gray, as the dark blue one had been soaked earlier in the rain.

After changing, Yuwen Yue placed his wet clothes on the Kang bed to dry. He then increased the fire in the bed to warm the room where the children were still shivering. "Don't fall asleep on an empty stomach," he told them. "Wait for the hot porridge, and then you can rest."

Chu Qiao was quick with her cooking, and the porridge was soon ready. The delicious aroma filled the lodge, and Yuwen Yue's hunger grew. He returned to the kitchen and was pleased to see that Chu Qiao had already set the table with tiny bowls for the children.

She had even boiled hot tea for him. Yuwen Yue, grateful, wrapped the children in blankets and helped them eat first.

After some time, when the kids were done eating, Yuwen Yue checked their clothes to see if they were dry. They were, so he helped the three kids put their clothes back on while he stood there, barely covered on his upper body. Chu Qiao couldn't help but frame this memory in her mind, watching Yuwen Yue care for the children like a father, while she felt like the mother of the house.

Suddenly, Yuwen Yue was beside her, waking her from her thoughts. "Hey, I know you're hungry. Let's eat."

Chu Qiao, startled, responded, "Yes, this is for you."

The rain continued to pour heavily outside, the wind howling, and thunder and lightning roaring above the rooftop. As they ate their dinner, their eyes met across the table, exchanging silent glances.

They finished their bowls together while the three kids slept, their heads resting on Yuwen Yue's warm blankets. After eating, neither Chu Qiao nor Yuwen Yue stood up. Neither felt tired, and they just sat there, staring at each other under the dim light, as if waiting for one of them to speak.

Finally, Chu Qiao broke the silence and asked, "You didn't answer my question earlier."

Yuwen Yue, remembering, maintained his poker face and coldly replied, "Wasn't it obvious?"

Chu Qiao thought for a moment. "You're single and living in this secluded lodge."

Yuwen Yue didn't respond but continued looking at her. Chu Qiao persisted, "I'm going to ask you something, and I want you to answer me honestly."

Yuwen Yue's heart raced, but he looked away, still finishing his porridge. "What is it?" he asked.

"Do you really like me?" Chu Qiao asked bluntly.

Yuwen Yue, hearing her question, replied coolly, "Isn't it obvious?"

Frustrated, Chu Qiao's face turned stern. "I'm asking you politely, but all you say is 'Isn't it obvious?'"

Yuwen Yue, still maintaining cold yet calm appearance, said, "What do you want to hear? 'Marry me?'" His voice was calm, but his heart raced as he avoided looking at her, unable to resist her kissable lips under the dim light.

Suddenly, Yuwen Yue stopped eating and wiped his mouth with a cloth.

Chu Qiao was startled. A marriage proposal had just been uttered when she was only asking if he liked her.

Yuwen Yue leaned closer to her and repeated, "Marry me, or don't, it won't change the fact that you want me, too."

Chu Qiao, testing his resolve, asked, "How are you so sure that I want you?"

"I saw you following me around," Yuwen Yue said matter-of-factly.

Chu Qiao's cheeks flushed, and her ears turned red in embarrassment. Yuwen Yue continued, "I won't ask a third time. If you don't say yes now, I'll take it as a no."

Chu Qiao, not wanting to let go of the moment, asked, "And if I say yes?"

Yuwen Yue, sensing her seriousness, looked at her closely and coldly replied, "Tomorrow will be a fine day to wed."

Chu Qiao was taken aback, her mind racing. "Huh? Are you crazy?" she asked, stunned.

Yuwen Yue, with his usual cold voice but a heart beating fast, replied, "Are you worried?"

Chu Qiao shot back, "Of course not. Why would I be?"

Yuwen Yue straightened his back, moved closer, and said, "Then marry me."

Taking her long pause as a yes, Yuwen Yue confidently added, "Tomorrow morning, we're getting married."

Chu Qiao felt conflicted, torn between wanting to be with him and the fear that if he discovered who she truly was, he might leave her or blame her for not revealing the truth earlier. She responded in a calm but cold voice, "Just so you know, you weren't really asking, you already decided we're getting married, so be it."

Yuwen Yue, hearing her acceptance, imagined himself kicking over the table, breaking chairs, and jumping in joy, but he restrained himself and simply replied, "Alright, consider it done."

"Wait," Chu Qiao said, "I don't even know your name or who your family is."

Yuwen Yue, hiding his true identity, replied, "My name is Ra Yue, and I'm a peddler. You'll have a lifetime to discover who my family is. And your name is Qiao Qiao, right?" He faked his response, wanting to see if Chu Qiao would reveal her true identity, signaling that he was now on a path to uncovering the truth.

Irritated, Chu Qiao corrected him, "No, my name is Chu Qiao. Remember that." Her introduction was brief and to the point.

Yuwen Yue, quiet for a moment, said, "Alright, Chu Qiao. Tomorrow morning, you'll be Mrs. Ra Yue."

Chu Qiao felt that everything was happening too fast, and though it felt both right and wrong, deep down, she wanted to be with him. So, she didn't argue.

The next day, Yuwen Yue had everything arranged. With the help of Zuo, the wedding preparations were quickly completed. Yuwen Yue had been planning this strategy for months, ever since he left the Qinghai Empire.

Dressed in his red Hanfu, Yuwen Yue looked handsome but maintained his cold stance. He sent a red veil and wedding gown to Chu Qiao, matching his own attire.

The wedding reception took place at the Kowloon house, where the old lady, caught off guard by the sudden event, simply offered her place. At the end of her busy day, she remarked, "I went away for a night and came back to a wedding. This is happening so fast."

The wedding was kept low-key, with only a few invitations sent out. It almost seemed unplanned to everyone but Yuwen Yue, who had been preparing for this since he left Qinghai. Even the Liang crown prince's spies missed it. When they finally confirmed Chu Qiao's marriage, the prince was furious.

"Married to whom?" Prince Xiao Ce asked his spies.

"To a peddler," the spies replied.

"What?" Xiao Ce's eyes widened in disbelief. "Did you double-check?"

"Yes, Your Highness. He's a poor peddler who lives in a secluded lodge near the borders of Wei and Southern Liang."

Xiao Ce, in denial, tried to sneak out of the palace, but the heavy guard prevented him from leaving. He was unable to attend Chu Qiao's wedding.

As the day ended, Chu Qiao and Yuwen Yue followed all the customs and traditions of a Chinese wedding. They bowed to their family and friends, with Zuo disguised as a wealthy merchant acting as Yuwen Yue's sponsor. The two men exchanged knowing glances, while Chu Qiao and the old lady looked on, blinking in surprise. The old lady realized her friend had finally moved on from her past heartbreak and hoped Chu Qiao could do the same.

Following tradition, Yuwen Yue had to wait three days before taking his bride to their home. During that time, he sent a dowry to the old lady, including gifts of gold and money he had earned from his honest work as a peddler.

On the third day, the couple left Xue Fu Street to stay at Yuwen Yue's lodge. What followed should have been their "happily ever after," but it was only the beginning of a new chapter in their lives. Both would have to face their future together, as husband and wife, with new challenges ahead.


Look back at Chapter 47 Ask for Wisdom


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret Princess Chap 81-100 Book 3 100:After All, Its You♥

 Chapter 100 After all its you Mornings by the sea were serene, the world cloaked in the soft, cool hues of dawn. The horizon w...